I have a spoiled rotten,10 yr old neutered male Shih Tzu, named Kuro. He's also blind, but still my sweet baby!
Although it's only him and me now, there's a lot of talking around our house. I didn't realize he knows so many words! Some people say it's repetition, but I prefer to think he's that smart.......
We moved to Michigan from Indiana 4 years ago, and for the first 7 years of Kuro's life, the only expense I had was vaccinations, grooming,and buying toys. ( Lots of toys)
But time passes on and age starts taking a toll, and he started having problems: bladder, tumor on paw,liver enzymes too high, dental work, eye problems,and for the past few months, skin problems.
Dr. Dhaliwal has done all of Kuro's surgeries, and worked with me on the other problems. He never loses his patience, and stays calm while I am asking my 100 questions .
Dr. Dhaliwal is definitely in the correct profession. It seems he has a passion for not only helping animals, but he takes every opportunity to learn new techniques so he can help them even more.
The staff is also very nice. They greet you with a smile, take the time to talk, explain meds,etc. and if Dr. D. doesn't call to check on Kuro after a procedure, the staff will, and that means a lot to me.
Michigan Avenue Animal Hospital is a caring place, and everyone makes sure your pet is given the best care. Whatever it takes to make you and your pet "HAPPY!"
Pet Health Diagnostic Lab Testing:
MAAH has the ability to perform the following laboratory tests in-house, or with outside laboratories, for our patients/clients as needed:
- Allergy Testing: Pet’s serum is tested for sensitivity to inhalants such as pollens from trees, grasses, weeds & shrubs, fungi, fleas, house dust and mites
- Anti Thrombin Measured to detect DIC(a common and life-threatening complication of serious disease), and to assess risk of blood clots in patients with low protein levels.
- Bile Acids: Measured to assess liver function.
- Blood Gas Analysis: Measured to assess respiratory and metabolic balance of oxygen, carbon dioxide and the effects on blood ph.
- Doppler for Blood pressure: Provides a quick and non-invasive way to estimate how well blood is circulating to the tissues.
- Blood Typing To determine blood types in dogs and cats in anticipation of transfusions.
- Buccal Mucosal Bleeding Time: A test to measure coagulation parameters related to platelets, vonWillebrand's disease, etc.
- Canine Borrelia Antibody Test: To detect Lyme disease.
- Canine Occult Heartworm Test: To detect infestation with heartworms.
- Canine Parvo Test: To detect a common and life-threatening viral intestinal disease.
- Capnography: To assess expired carbon dioxide concentrations. Coagulation Measurement of PT, APTT, and ACT to assess risk of clotting problems.
- Glucose Curve: To assess insulin therapy in our diabetic pets. Minimal blood sampling and patient handling leads to a happier patient and more accurate results.
- Cytology: To assess cellular composition and different type of cell in tumor and fluids analysis from abdomen or thorax. Ear cytology to diagnose different type of ear infections in dog & cats. Fecal cytology to find infection or inflammatory cells.
- Vaginal Cytology: to find the right time of breeding or Artificial Insemination in dogs
- D-Dimer Testing: To aid in diagnosis of DIC.
- ECG : Allows us to visualize the electrical conductivity of the heart in order to detect any life threatening abnormalities.
- Brucellosis test: This test is done before starting breeding dogs.
- E.R.D.-Screen® or Microalbuminuria(MA): A urine test that provides early detection of renal disease in dogs.
- Ethylene Glycol Test: To detect exposure to antifreeze.
- FDP Testing :To aid in diagnosis of DIC.
- Fecal Analysis: To detect intestinal parasites.
- Feline Felv/Fiv Test: To detect presence of Feline Leukemia Virus and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus.
- Fungal Cultures: To detect fungal infections of the skin.
- Fructosamine: Provides a picture of the blood glucose level over a window of the 2-3 weeks prior to testing; aids in the management of diabetes.
- Antigen GiardiaTesting: To detect presence of this common cause for diarrhea.
- Hematology Automated machinery measures white cell, red cell and platelet counts as part of assessment for anemia, infection and platelet disorders; a vital part of most patients' workup.
- Ionized Calcium: Useful in evaluation of disease of calcium regulation.
- Pvika Testing: To detect exposure to common rodent poisons and evaluate response to treatment, and to assess part of liver function in patients with advanced liver disease.
- Pulse Oximetry: Provides a non-invasive way to measure oxygen concentration in the bloodstream.
- Refractometry: To assess the specific gravity & protein levels in urine & body fluids
- Serum Chemistry Analyzer: Measures key chemicals in the blood stream to assess organ inflammation, organ function, blood sugar, electrolytes, protein levels and other vital parameters.
- Skin Scraping: To diagnose mange , mites and scabies.
- Tick Serology Test/ PCR Tick Born Panel: to diagnose tick born diseases such as Lyme, Ehrlichia canis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
- T-4 ( Thyroid Profile):Measures to assess thyroid function in dogs and cats.
- Tonometry: To detect inflammation and glaucoma of the eye, by measuring intraocular pressure (IOP).
- Urinalysis: To assess kidney function and urinary tract inflammation or infection.
- Urine Cultue & MIC: To determine type of infection and drug sensitivity to it.
- Wisdom Panel: It is Mixed- Breed Genetic Analysis Test. It detects breeds in your dog’s ancestry, back to his great grandparents. It is blood test.
- Vaccine Titer: We offer Dog Vaccine Titer and Cat Vaccine Titer to determine to give booster vaccines in Dog and Cats.
- Biopsies: ( Microscopic examination of tumor cells).It is recommended to do biopsies after every mass removal to determine whether tumor is benign or malignant.
- We use Antech Diagnostic Lab and Michigan State University lab as off-site labs. We get results back within 24 - 48 hours, depending upon the test.
- We have on-site X-ray machines, EKG, Pulse oximetry, Doppler blood pressure monitor,
- Tono-Vet diagnose glaucoma in dogs and cats.