I have a spoiled rotten,10 yr old neutered male Shih Tzu, named Kuro. He's also blind, but still my sweet baby!Although it's only him and me now, there's a lot of talking around our house. I didn't realize he knows so many words! Some people say it's repetition, but I prefer to think he's that smart.......
We moved to Michigan from Indiana 4 years ago, and for the first 7 years of Kuro's life, the only expense I had was vaccinations, grooming,and buying toys. ( Lots of toys)
But time passes on and age starts taking a toll, and he started having problems: bladder, tumor on paw,liver enzymes too high, dental work, eye problems,and for the past few months, skin problems.
Dr. Dhaliwal has done all of Kuro's surgeries, and worked with me on the other problems. He never loses his patience, and stays calm while I am asking my 100 questions .
Dr. Dhaliwal is definitely in the correct profession. It seems he has a passion for not only helping animals, but he takes every opportunity to learn new techniques so he can help them even more.
The staff is also very nice. They greet you with a smile, take the time to talk, explain meds,etc. and if Dr. D. doesn't call to check on Kuro after a procedure, the staff will, and that means a lot to me.
Michigan Avenue Animal Hospital is a caring place, and everyone makes sure your pet is given the best care. Whatever it takes to make you and your pet "HAPPY!"
Common Household Poisons
With various dangers lurking in corners and cabinets, the home can be a minefield of poisons for our pets. Pets get exposed to toxic substances, many of which included everyday household products. Don’t leave it up to Marley or Fluffy to keep themselves safe.
Human medications involving prescription and over-the-counter drugs such as painkillers, cold medications, antidepressants and dietary supplements. Pets often snatch pill vials from counters and nightstands or gobble up medications accidentally dropped on the floor, so it’s essential to keep meds tucked away in hard-to-reach cabinets.
One of the most common incidents involved the misuse of flea and tick products—such as applying the wrong topical treatment to the wrong species. Thus, it’s always important to talk to your pet’s veterinarian before beginning any flea and tick control program.
People food like grapes, raisins, avocado and products containing xylitol, like gum, can seriously disable our furry friends, and accounted for more than 17,453 cases in 2009. One of the worst offenders—chocolate—contains large amounts of methylxanthines, which, if ingested in significant amounts, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, urination, hyperactivity, and in severe cases, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors and seizures.
Varieties such as azalea, rhododendron, sago palm, lilies, kalanchoe and schefflera are often found in homes and can be harmful to pets. Lilies are especially toxic to cats, and can cause life-threatening kidney failure even in small amounts. Also read Common poisonous Plants
Even though veterinary medications are intended for pets, they’re often misapplied or improperly dispensed by pet parents. Most common animal-related preparations such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, heartworm preventatives, de-wormers, antibiotics, Vaccines (given by the owner) and nutritional supplements are misused.
Pets who had accidentally ingested rat and mouse poisons. Many baits used to attract rodents contain inactive ingredients that are attractive to pets as well. Depending on the type of rodenticide, ingestions can lead to potentially life-threatening problems for pets including bleeding, seizures or kidney damage.
Everybody knows that household cleaning supplies can be toxic to adults and children, but few take precautions to protect their pets from common agents such as bleaches, detergents and disinfectants. These products, when inhaled by our furry friends, can cause serious gastrointestinal distress and irritation to the respiratory tract.
It’s not too much loud music that constitutes our next pet poison offender. Instead, it’s heavy metals such as lead, zinc and mercury. Lead is especially pernicious, and pets are exposed to it through many sources, including consumer products, paint chips, linoleum, and lead dust produced when surfaces in older homes are scraped or sanded. Pennies cause zinc toxicity Post-1982 pennies (due to high concentration of zinc).
Lawn and Garden Products
It may keep your grass green, but certain types of fertilizer and garden products can cause problems for outdoor cats and dogs. Fertilizer exposure, which can cause severe gastric upset and possibly gastrointestinal problem.
Pet exposure to chemical hazards are on the rise. Chemical hazards—found in ethylene glycol antifreeze, paint thinner, drain cleaners and pool/spa chemicals—form a substantial danger to pets. Substances in this group can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, respiratory difficulties and chemical burns.
Prevention is really key to avoiding accidental exposure, but if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please contact us or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.
I would like to truly thank Dr. Dhaliwal and his entire staff for their professional veterinary expertise in caring for my dog Mandy. From the moment I walked into the office, I was comforted and reassured that my dog could recover from her affliction.
Mandy previously had surgery at another veterinary hospital for the removal of a growth on her hind leg. For some unfortunate reason, the area became badly infected that the doctor's opinion was amputation to save Mandy's life.
At first, I was devastated about this news and wanted to get a second opinion. Therefore, I began seeking other veterinary hospitals that specialized in this area. However, for some reason Michigan Avenue Animal Hospital would constantly reappear on my list. I began to read the testimonies from his previous clients and suddenly a peaceful feeling came over me. Even though Dr. Dhaliwal's hospital was a great distant from Detroit to Ypsilanti Michigan, it was worth the ride.
Mandy's outcome was the same, yet the calming and patient manner in which my dog and I were given from Dr. Dhaliwal and his loving staff made a difference. Today, Mandy is still running, climbing and playing even with three legs and I am thankful for the time and quality of life I still share with her.